My mom taught me to make cinnamon rolls after she did it in Relief Society. I remember it taking a long time but also that it was fun and the result was delicious. So for ages, I have looked for all of the bizarre things she used - a heavy cloth to roll the dough out on, a thin cloth cover for the rolling pin and string to cut the dough. I even asked my mom where I could find these things and she had no idea. A few weeks ago, I saw them. It was too easy actually. Packaged together for $3.99 at World Market with a slightly more eloquent name - "Pastry Cloth & Rolling Pin Cover." Who knew? I didn't have to make them or know what the material was. It was all ready for me. Of course, after I bought these, I also saw them at Bed Bath & Beyond as well as Albertsons. It's as if they were haunting me. But I got what I wanted so I'll just be happy. The "string" is actually called "cooking twine," btw.
So I found a recipe on FoodNetwork.com that called for scalded milk. I went about researching what on earth that meant. After feeling fairly confident I now knew (just before boiling, approx. 160-165 degrees) how to scald milk, I started my cinnamon rolls this evening. Unfortunately the first step was to dissolve the yeast in warm water. Warm water? Oh good, another vague term. I've killed yeast before by making the liquid too hot so I wanted to be careful. Fortunately for me, someone knew that "warm water" was very vague and put the appropriate temperature (100-110) right on the back of that tiny package. Yea!! The smell of the yeast in water was intoxicating and I was immediately so happy to be baking. I think in the future when I feel a bit lazy or am lacking ingredients, I may just put some yeast in water to make my home smell wonderful. Or maybe just when the visiting teachers are coming over. ;)
The dough is rising and I am so excited to eat the deliciousness. Because I can't feed them to all of you, perhaps I'll just share a picture. Won't that be equally satisfying? ;) I will tell you this recipe is much easier. It only makes 12-15 rolls so it doesn't take all day to do this. If interested, check out Paula Deen's cinnamon roll recipe. I can almost taste the sweet, soft, gooey rolls now. Yummmm...
Mmmmmmm...So how did they turn out?
ReplyDeleteThis is pretty funny too, because the other night at like 10:30, Joel decided he wanted cinnamon rolls too. Luckily we have a breadmaker that did most of the work.
It was a devastating loss indeed. I set the timer for the suggested time and went about my business. When I returned to the beeping, they were already overdone. Our dumb oven is just so dumb! Grrr. I don't think we even ate 1/3 of them if that gives you an idea. I may try the recipe again sometime. But it was a dark and dreary night at our house on Jan 15th. May I soon forget it... ;)
ReplyDelete